Obtaining Tax IDs for Your Businesss

So, you are looking for tax IDs, huh? Ok, we're about to go through the heart-pounding world of...taxes, licenses, and small businesses!
Luke SkyTaxerdreams of starting his very own online Jedi robe tailoring business, straight outta his Aunt Beru's basement. One problem though, Luke ain't got a clue about the legalities. He's about as lost as a hobbit in Mordor.

Enter our friendly, yet snarky mentor, Gandalf the Tax. He's here to clear the fog, and he has a knack for using eccentric metaphors to make everything click. He's like the Dumbledore of paperwork, the Yoda of red tape, and as relentless as John Wick with a calculator.

Sales Tax ID (Seller's Permit)

Gandalf starts off, "Listen, Luke. You need a Seller's Permit because you're selling stuff. It's as simple as that. You're like Robin Hood, except instead of stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, you're buying from wholesalers and selling to customers." "Gandalf, that doesn't sound very heroic..."

"True, but remember, every time you sell a Jedi robe, you're charging your customers a bit of sales tax, right? And that sales tax has to go to the government. It's like paying your tab at the Prancing Pony, but instead of beer, it's taxes."

"Ah, that makes sense. But what's it going to cost me?"

"Well, Luke, the exact cost varies by state, but generally, the force is strong with this one - it's usually free or low-cost to obtain."


Moving on, Gandalf says, "Next, you need an EIN, or Employer Identification Number. It's like your business's Social Security number. When the IRS wants to have a word with your business, they're going to use this number.

You need it for stuff like filing taxes, opening bank accounts, and applying for business licenses. It's like Bilbo's ring, except it doesn't make you invisible and doesn't have a vengeful dark lord after it. It's free to get from the IRS." "Now, your state may also require a State EIN. This varies depending on where your business is based.

If you're in the Shire, they might not need one, but if you're in Mordor, they might. Usually, there's no charge or a small fee."

Choosing Ownership: LLC vs. Sole Proprietorship

When Luke asks about ownership structure, Gandalf cracks a smile. "Ah, the big question. Are you an Aragorn, running your kingdom with an iron fist as a sole proprietor? Or are you more of a Fellowship of the Ring, sharing the burden and the benefits as an LLC?" "But which is best, Gandalf?"

"Well, my boy, an LLC protects your personal assets if your business is sued. It's like Frodo's mithril vest, shielding you from the arrows of potential lawsuits. An LLC can cost between $50 and $500 to set up, depending on the state."

Business Tax ID (Business License)

"For your Business Tax ID or Business License, think of it like your ticket to the Hogwarts Express. You ain't getting on the train to entrepreneurship without it! This permit allows you to legally operate in your city or county, and the cost can range from $50 to several hundred dollars."

LLC treated as an "S" Corp

"Now, let's talk about S Corps. By treating your LLC as an S Corp, you can avoid some self-employment taxes. Think of it as the One Ring of tax strategies, giving you power over your profits and losses. This could be best if your profits are high enough to justify the additional paperwork and accounting costs."

LLC/Corporation rids DBA requirement

"And finally, if you decide to roll as an LLC or a Corporation, you won't need a DBA or 'Doing Business As' name.
It's like Superman deciding to always be Superman and never Clark Kent again. Not necessary if you're cool with being Superman all the time.
Plus, you save the cost and hassle of filing a DBA!"

And with that, Gandalf the Tax disappears into a puff of smoke, leaving Luke SkyTaxer enlightened and ready to embark on his entrepreneurial journey, equipped with the right tax IDs and licenses.